My friend is always in awe of how long my lipstick lasts. I told her once that it was the particular one I was wearing, Mac Russian Red, so she bought it too. But when she wore it, it didn’t have the same effect, and I realised why – she was putting it on all wrong. So here are my tips on how to do it correctly.
(1) Pick a lipstick with long wearing finish, like matte or semi matte. Also note that dark colour lipsticks tend to last longer than light ones. My personal faves are Nars Carthage, Nars Funny Face, and Mac Russian Red, pictured above.
(2) If you use lip conditioner or balm to condition your lips before lipstick, blot it off. If it’s still wet, it will cause your lipstick to slip off.
(3) Dab on your first layer of lipstick. Really push the lipstick on your lips so you get the full pigment. Don’t just pat it on lightly.
(4) Blot your lipstick with tissue.
(5) Spread a tissue paper over your lips, then take some face powder with a brush and powder your lips through the tissue. The tissue must act as a barrier between your face brush and your lips.
(6) Put a second layer of lipstick on. Blot.
You may repeat step 5 & 6 if you want, but I’m usually good with just 2 layers of lipstick. And that’s it, your lipstick should not slip off so easily, even through a meal. 🙂
Now here’s a chance for you to buy some new lipsticks to practice that trick on! (Or whatever makeup you want, it’s up to you.)