Are you familiar with the First World Problems meme? Well I’m taking a stab at it, but on expat problems instead.
(1) I got invited to another wedding the month after a wedding that I am already attending. I don’t have the budget for the double plane fare, so I’m sorry but I’ll have to pass.
(2) I don’t understand most of the posts on my Facebook feed that are referring to local celebrities or TV shows I no longer follow because I don’t have Filipino channels anymore.
(3) I’m craving for my favorite food from back home but I can’t find it here, or it’s not that easy to find.
(4) When there is an emergency back home, I’m too far away to be of help or to get there fast enough. The feeling of helplessness is awful.
(5) Whenever I visit my home country, I both look forward to it and dread it. I love to see the place and my loved ones again, but I’m not used to being there anymore, and halfway through, I just can’t wait to go back to the bed that I’m now used to.
(6) Sometimes my local colleagues suddenly talk to each other in their local language and I just sit awkwardly with a smile pasted on my face, hoping that they remember I’m with them, or that they’re not talking about me right in front of my face.
(7) When I go back to my home country, some (not all) people expect me to have presents from abroad or pay for everything while I’m there with them, just because I earn in dollars.
(8) I have no idea where “home” is now and I don’t feel like I truly belong anywhere.
Are you an expat? What problems can you relate to and do you have anything to add?
Bailie and I are doing a link up for Blogger Problems on the 13th of May. Please join us! Just list all your blogger problems ala First World Problems format, copy and paste the code below the picture, and link up your posts on any of our blogs.
This post is part of the A to Z Challenge, a blog hop that goes through the alphabet for all the days of April except Sundays. Today’s feature is X for eXpat. 😛